Australia, with an international student population of 637,000+, has climbed up the ladder of popular study abroad destinations to reach the third pedestal. This island nation is not only known for its coral reefs, kangaroos, exquisite wildlife, but is also recognized among the world’s top study destinations with eight of its universities boosting landing into the QS world university 2021 rankings. Altogether, to study in Australia is a dream come true for many Indian students. As per the current records, some of the popular nations from where the international student population came to study in Australi are- China, India, Nepal, Vietnam, and Brazil.
There has been a continuous rise in the percentage of international students that Australia has received by around 11% since 2017. For the 2020 term, irrespective of a pandemic hitting the entire globe, the number of Indian students that enrolled in Australian Universities did not see a major fall.
Apart from offering high-class education recognized globally, Australia offers its students a choice of over 22,000 courses through 1,100 institutions. Alongside a wide variety of options to choose from you can choose to study at seven of the world’s best student cities located in Australia.
Why Study in Australia?
There are various reasons for which an international student may opt for studying in Australia. Some of the most popular reasons are:
- Globally ranking institutions: 36 of Australian Universities make it to the top 1000 list released by QS for World University Ranking 2021. Seven of these are ranked among the top 100 world universities.
- Extensive Student Support: The ESOS (Education Services for Overseas Students) Act lays the framework for the enforcement of best law practices to protect the rights of international students studying in Australia.
- Funding Options: Australian government invests around 300 million AUD in international student scholarships. Around 300 Australian Awards were offered to international students from over 55 countries in 2019.
- Employment Opportunities: Education from Australia makes you work-ready for the competitive global market. As per statistics, around 79% of graduates find employment after completion of their program from Australia, six percent of graduates enroll for further studies, and four percent of the total student population are self-employed.
- Easy Policy for Student Visa in Australia: The process to obtain Student Visa Australia is quite easy and hassle-free as compared to other countries. To study in Australia, foreign students can apply for Student Visa subclass 500. The student visa acceptance rate is 85%- 95%, so any prospective student with good grades and necessary documents can expect visa grant mail.
Top Ranking Universities in Australia
Australia is home to 43 universities, 37 of which rank among the top 1000 universities in the world as per Times Higher Education Rankings (2020). Australian universities are a blend of academic and teaching excellence, a melting pot for various cultures, and groundbreaking research opportunities. Universities in Australia are so distributed that there is at least one main campus of a university in each state territory. The Australian University’s location map suggests that there are university campuses across all major Australian locations. Multiple campuses of many universities in different locations are also an advantage for an international student who can choose where they want to live in Australia.
Listed below are the top universities to study in Australia along with some of their important statistics:
Note: The tuition fees given are approximations, costs will vary depending on the program you choose to study.
Universities in Australia are ranked among the Top 100 in the following subject areas:
34 Australian Universities make it to the QS subject rankings for 48 different subject areas. Some of the popular and ranked universities for various subjects are given below
Higher Education in Australia
Though the Australian education system offers you to choose from VET, higher education, language programs, and non-awarding course, most of the international students enroll in higher education courses. These include mainstream degree, certificate, and diploma programs. As of Jan-June’ 2020 around 367,224 international students enrolled in such courses followed by 229,857 students enrolling in VET programs.
Indian students who chose to study in Australia for higher education opted for Engineering courses the most. Given below is the number of Indian students studying in Australia in various streams:
Admissions to Study in Australia
To study in Australia, you will need to apply with the institution of choice and a student visa from the Australian government. Begin with researching your options at least by May-June prior to the year for which you want to apply. Look for universities based on your choice of programs, your previous academic record, and your budget. Once you have decided on your course and institution, the next comes application. There are two ways to apply for Australian Universities:
- Directly to the education provider: Apply directly to the institution of choice through online application systems or download the form and send it to the admissions office of the education institution.
- Applying through education agent: There are various agents for Australian Universities located in various countries like China, India, etc. You will have to prepare a file of supporting documents required for applications and contact the agent who will further assist you with the application process. You can find out details about these agents through education institution websites.
Please ensure that you apply before the application deadlines for universities in Australia, to ensure you have enough time to obtain a student visa after receiving confirmation of enrollment (CoE).
Entry Required for Admissions to Study in Australia
To ensure a seat with top Australian universities you need to meet up to certain entry-requirements. You have to fulfill English language proficiency requirements, academic requirements, health insurance, and visa requirements. Given below is a brief description of these requirements, applicants must note that the score requirements in previous education and language tests vary from institution to institution and may vary within an institution based on your choice of program and level of education.
English Language Requirements
The mode of education in Australia is English, hence, for students coming from nations where English is not the first language, proof of language proficiency is required. You can submit scores of tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE.
Various ELICOS (English Language Courses) that you can pursue as preparatory courses for Australian universities. You can either choose to study these courses without taking the tests or when your score does not fulfill the minimum requirements for the choice of the institution where you want to apply. In some cases, the university may ask a student to pursue these language programs if they are being offered conditional admissions.
Academic requirements for studying in Australia vary depending on the level of the program. You must check with your institution about detailed requirements. Given below are some general guidance on entry to different study levels:
Overseas Student Health Cover
A special system for health coverage is offered to international students in Australia. Offered by a range of providers, OSHC covers the duration of course/stay in Australia. The lowest cost of minimum cover for singles is 430 AUD/year, 2680 AUD/year for couples, and 4000 AUD/year for a family.
Once you have successfully made your application to the university, you will receive a letter of confirmation if you are accepted. Go through your letter carefully and enroll with the university by paying the enrollment fees mentioned. Once enrolled you will receive electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (eCOE). This document will be required when you apply for an Australian student visa.
Visa Requirements to Study in Australia
Your Australian student visa will only be accepted if you fulfill the following minimum requirements:
- Receive electronic Certificate of Enrollment
- Meet the genuine temporary entrant requirements
- Proof of sufficient funds: As per the Australian government, the cost of living for international students that must be reflected in their financial status is 21,000 AUD/year.
- Meet ELP requirements
- Meet health and character requirements
- Submit OSHC.
Cost to Study in Australia
When you plan to study abroad, one of the major concern that arises is expenses. Knowing the average cost of living and studying in Australia will help you plan your expenses, trip and applications for financial aids accordingly. You should be aware that the cost of studying will not solely depend on the program but will also fluctuate within a range based on the choice of institution, level of program, city you wish to study in and lifestyle choices you make.
Tuition fees involved to Study in Australia
The table below gives you a broad indication of the amount you will spend on the tuition fees when planning to study in Australia.Though a broad indication of the range in which you will spending has been detailed above, let us have a look at how much do popular courses cost to study in Australia:
Accommodations in Australia
There is plenty of student accommodation available in Australia. The costs of these accommodations vary depending on the city you choose to live in, however, given below are certain monthly costs you must be prepared for:
- Hostels & Guesthouses– 360-600 AUD.
- Shared Rentals: 360-860 AUD.
- On-campus Housing: 440-11,000 AUD
- Boarding schools: 840-1690 AUD.
- Single Rentals: 740-1760 AUD.
Scholarships to Study in Australia
As the cost of studying in Australia may seem too high to cater, there are many bursaries, scholarships, loans, etc available as financial aids.
Some of the popular scholarships for international students studying in Australia are:
- Australia Awards: It is an extensive program that brings together the scholarships offered by the Department of Education, Foreign Affairs, and the Australian Center for International Agricultural Research. These awards are offered to students of countries Asia, the Middle East, the Pacific, and Africa. It covers full-tuition, OHSC, returns air travel, and establishment allowance.
- Endeavor PG Scholarship Awards: Offered to international students pursuing masters and PhD and takes care of tuition fees, travel allowance, monthly stipend, health insurance, and establishment allowance.
- AGRTP (Australia Government Research Training Program): Offered to students pursuing research in masters or doctoral programs and awards maximum financial award of up to 43,000 AUD.
Apart from these government awards, various institutions offer scholarships to international students. Some of the popular institutional scholarships are:
Scope after Studying in Australia
Australia is a hub of research and technology. Australian Universities offer great research work in the field of arts and humanities, education, and sciences. Some of the crucial inventions and research from Australia include the discovery of penicillin, IVF, wi-fi, etc. University of New South Wales’ Michael Crouch Innovation Centre receives the highest research funding from the Government of Australia as it aces the list for innovation centers across the 8 states. Research in Australia- Post Doctoral Opportunities
Australia can be a great choice for foreign students in all aspects- from coursework to undertaking one’s own research under faculty from leading universities. To add to all of this, one of the largest and diverse research institute, ‘Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization’ is located at Canberra, Australia.
Jobs after Studying in Australia
An Australian degree brings along abundant job opportunities post-study. Employers and top-notch companies across the globe value a graduate from Australian University with high paying jobs. To work in Australia, international students can apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) before applying for PR. TGV is granted for a period of 18 months to 4 years depending on the level of study.
There are a huge number of opportunities available to work in Australia. From world-famous recruiters to start-ups all kinds of employers look forward to working with graduates from Australian Universities. Cushy median salaries are offered by recruiters to students who have studied in Australia. Some of the top recruiters and their average salary packages are depicted below:
There are a variety of employee protection laws that cover international students working in Australia. Overall alongside cushy median salaries, you will be protected as an employee in Australia. To study in Australia means that it will bring in a variety of options to explore, job and research opportunities, a multicultural environment, and much more to look forward to at a cheaper cost when compared to other popular study destinations like USA, Canada, UK, etc.
For popular and recognized university education at half the price of destinations like USA and the UK, Australia is the destination fulfilling up to the needs of students coming from all around the world. These are the factors why it has climbed up the ladder of study abroad destinations and has made its mark among the world’s most renowned universities.