When skin gets exposed to the ultra-violet rays of the Sun, Sunburn occurs. The reason of sunburn of skin is the excessive production of melanin in the exposed skin. The ultimately higher melanin production leads to Sunburn. This is the reason why sunburn is more common and likely to happen in fair skin complexion people.
7 Best Natural Sunburn Remedies At Home:
Melanin’s natural shield is produced by skin and has an SPF around 4 which is not capable enough to prevent sunburn. The best method to prevent sunburn is to use sunscreen of 15 SPF or more. But even using is not enough in cases when you are exposed to sun for prolong periods. In such cases, ProLadiesTips helps you by present some of the best sunburn remedies at home to heal sunburn faster to reduce sunburn pain and itching:
How To Make & Apply:
- Un-peeled potatoes are washed scrubbed. Blend potatoes after cutting into small pieces.
- Add a little water during blending so that it transform into liquid form.
- In this mixture, thoroughly soak cotton balls/pads/tissues etc and apply on sunburn area.
- Apply it several times, continuously rewetting the cotton ball with mixture blended.
- As an alternative method, gauze can also be soaked in the mixture and placed on sunburn areas. As the dressing becomes dry, change it.
- Potato paste and its juice are helpful to give natural sunburn relief as potatoes has relieving power to skin pain, minor skin irritations, bites and burns.
- Potatoes also reduce skin inflammation and soothe scratches.
Baking Soda/ Corn Starch:
How to make & apply:
- Take baking soda or corn starch in a quantity sufficient to apply on the sunburn affected area.
- Cool water (not cold water) is added into either of the ingredients to make a paste.
- Over the affected area, spread the paste for sometime.
- Before the paste gets dry, rinse it off using water.
- Both ingredients have soothing property for sunburn skin.
- Both ingredients diminish the redness and decrease the pain from sunburn areas.
Aloe Vera Gel:
How To Make & Apply:
- Take a broad leave of Aloe Vera and slit it open to take out the gel.
- Apply the gel directly onto the sunburn part of body.
- Aloe Vera gel has cooling and soothing properties to treat stinginess and redness.
- Aloe Vera can also heal acne and heartburns along with sunburns.
Oatmeal Water Mixture:
How To Make & Apply:
- 1/2 to 1 cup of oatmeal is added into your bathtub that is already filled with tepid or slightly on cooler side water.
- Cold water should not be used as it can send the body into shock.
- Little cool water is rough to provide sooth to sunburn areas.
- Oatmeal is a natural skin soother.
- Oatmeal contains polysaccharides that can heal skin naturally.
- Cool water can sooth sunburn and keep the affected part moist and hydrated.
Cool Water Compress:
- A washcloth is soaked in plain water having 3-4 ice cubes in it.
- Apply the soaked cloth on the affected areas for 15minutes, continuously re-wetting the cloth in water.
- To get the natural sunburn relief fast, repeat the procedure several times during the day.
- Never apply ice or ice pack directly on the sunburned area of face or body.
- You can also any soothing ingredient into compress cold water e.g. of little baking soda, aluminum acetate or witch hazel.
- You can add aluminum or aluminum acetate in the cold water if you have intense itching with sunburn.
- You can also moisten cotton ball in witch hazel to provide temporary relief to the affected areas as it has long-term anti-inflammatory properties.
- To heighten cooling process, a fan should be directed on the sunburned areas during cold compression.
Cool Water Shower/Cool Bath Tub:
- Take cool shower or get into cool water bath tub if you have sunburns on such parts of bodies where you can hardly reach e.g. back or wider parts of body.
- Dot use soap as it causes skin dryness. If necessary, then use any mild baby soap.
- Pat dry your skin after bath using soft towel or let it air dry simply.
- To soothe your sunburn pains, you can add apple cider vinegar into your bath tub cool water.
- 1/2 cup of Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment, made from oatmeal can also be added if relatively large area of your body is affected. Soak your body in tub for about 15minutes. It is a quick relief from itching caused by sunburn.
Best Is Precaution From Sunburn:
- Best is not to get sunburn, therefore always apply sunscreen of SPF 15 or more about 30 minutes before, whenever you go outside home.
- If you have sensitive skin, apply sunscreen even at home or in car as UV rays can pass through windows.
- Use an umbrella to cover your face by providing shade. Wide brimmed hat and long sleeves should also be preferred in sunny days.
- Always drink 8-10glasses of water daily for proper skin hydration.
- Sunscreen should be applied on all exposed body parts including lips, hands, ears and back of your neck.
- Use those sunblocks that contain zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, or avobenzone as these can block both UVA and UVB rays.
So, avoid peeling, redness, stinging and get rid of sunburn by these easy and simple natural sunburn relief remedies at home. Also learn natural remedies to treat acne at home. If you have any homemade natural sunburn remedy, then share on our G+ under the comments to benefit others!!!