You are able to find a number of home remedies for nail fungus but I would like to highlight the best ones for your comfort and ease. Before you start exploring the details, you need to get a quick introduction.
What is nail fungus?
It is also named as onychomycosis that is quite common in both men and women. The most common symptoms of it are inflammation, swelling, thickening, crumbling or yellowing of nail. This problem doesn’t cause much pain unless the infection spreads further. This infection becomes severe in specific conditions such as constant moisture exposure, abnormal pH levels, weak immune system, poor hygiene and diabetes. In case you don’t treat this problem then it may cause nail cracking , splitting or loss of nail. Interestingly, you can treat fungus in an inexpensive manner by opting for some home remedies. In case this infection spread and you feel pain then you should see a doctor.
11 Best Home remedies for Nail fungus
You don’t need to spend money on expensive cream for treating toenail fungus, you can easily treat them with natural ways. Here I’m going to unlock that ways for you.
Baking Soda Home remedy for toenail Fungus
We all have baking soda in our kitchen cabinet, so we can deal with toenail problem with it.
All you need to:
- Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/2 cup of Epsom salt, 1/4 cup of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and 4 cups of hot water. Once you mix this mixture, you need to add 1/4 of a cup white vinegar to it.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for almost 10 minutes.
- Wash your foot with clean water.
- Dry your foot.
- You can do this daily until nail fungus issue is resolved.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is acidic in nature , so it kills bacteria and fungus.
- Mix one cup of water with one cup of ACV in a small tub.
- Soak your toenail in this solution for half an hour.
- Do this daily and after a week you will able to notice improvements.
- This solution will also prevent this infection to spread on other fingers.
Tea Tree Oil for treating nail fungus
This oil has anti-septic and anti-fungal properties , so it is used to treat toenail fungus. It can also deal with other skin infections.
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil.
- You need to apply this mixture on your infected toenail with a cotton ball.
- Now let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Gently scrub it off with a truth brush.
- You can try this two times a day for a week to get amazing results.
Orange Oil treatment
This oil has strong anti-fungal properties, so it is one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. Before you try this remedy, you should test this oil on your skin because it may cause allergic reactions. If nothing happens, then you should opt for this remedy.
- Mix 4 drops of orange oil with 3 drops of grape seed oil.
- Apply this mixture on your toenails and between your toes with a cotton ball.
- Leave it for 25 minutes.
- Rinse it off with normal tap water.
- Repeat it twice a day until infection is healed.
Garlic home remedies for nail fungus
Garlic has strong anti-fungal properties, so nail fungus issue can be dealt with it. You can eat one of two crushed garlic cloves daily. You can also apply it.
- Crush two garlic cloves and add it into a frying pan with two tablespoons of olive oil. Fry it slightly and then strain the oil.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of garlic oil with 2 tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Apply this mixture on your infected toenails.
- Cover it with a bandage.
- Leave for 2-4 hours.
- Remove the bandage and you will see improvements.
- You can repeat it daily until there is no more infection.
Lemon Juice Home Remedy
This juice has strong antifungal and antiseptic properties. It has citric acid which prevent nail fungus to spread into other nails and skin.
- Mix two tablespoon of lemon juice with two tablespoon of olive oil.
- Leave this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off and dry your feet.
- You will see improvements.
- You can also use simple lemon juice to treat toenail fungus.
- In order to see positive results, you need to try these home remedies for nail fungus daily.
Lavender Oil Treatment
Lavender Oil is also used to treat many skin infections, so you can treat nail fungus with it.
- Mix 6 drops of Lavender oil with 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this mixture on your nail and surrounding area with a cotton ball.
- Leave it for almost 25 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Dry your foot.
- Apply it thrice a day for getting effective results.
Grape Seed Oil Remedy
If you want to treat nail fungus in the best way then you need to use grape seed oil.
Here is what you need to do:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil, 1/2 teaspoon of orange oil and 1/2 teaspoon of grape seed oil.
- Use cotton balls to apply this mixture on your infected nails.
- Let it dry naturally, it is good to leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off and dry your foot.
- This treatment works effectively, if you repeat it twice a day.
Home Remedy Oil of Oregano
If you need an effective treatment for toenail fungus then you should opt for oil of oregano that has antibacterial, analgesic, antiviral and antifungal properties.
- Make a paste of 2 drops oil of oregano with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply this paste on your affected toenails with a cotton ball.
- Let it sit on your nails for half an hour.
- Rinse it off with normal water and let your foot dry.
- Try this thrice or twice a day to notice effective results.
You use this product to deal with mouth bacteria and germs but you can surely use as one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. Mouthwash comprises of many antibacterial compounds along with alcohol, so it is a strong antiseptic which could keep away harmful fungi and bacteria from your nails as well.
- Fill a small tub with Listerine mouthwash.
- Soak your toenails in it for 30 minutes.
- Use a tooth brush and scrub your nails.
- Rinse it off and dry your foot.
- Do this twice a week for getting rid of toenail fungus.
Nail Fungus treatment with Coconut Oil
It is another great home remedy for nail fungus. It has fatty acids which can deal with lipid or fat layer of fungal membrane. Fungus can be treated well with this oil.
- Take a cotton ball and apply coconut oil on your infected nails and surrounding areas.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water and dry your foot.
- Try it thrice a day to get good results.
I have shared 11 best home remedies for nail fungus with you. If you use them with care and patience then you would be able to get rid of toe or finger nail fungus. In case you feel extreme pain or fungus spread to your skin then you should immediately consult with your doctor.